If you’re looking to go camping in the cooler months, it’s important to keep your tent and loved ones warm. A tent heater is an essential investment for your trip. We’ve reviewed different tent heaters to help you explore your options.
One of the biggest benefits of owning a tent heater is that you are able to extend your camping season. You can stay warm in any month of the year.
As long as you find a campsite with a power source, you can heat your tent up in no time. The latest tent heaters available have many features to give you added comfort and peace of mind. These include safety protection as well as adjustable thermostats. You have control over the temperature in your tent and won’t have to worry about fires or safety issues.
In this article we’re going to review the following electric tent heaters for camping:
- Brightown Ceramic Space Heater
- OPOLAR Ceramic Space Heater
- SENDOW Portable Electric Space Heater
- Vornado MVH Vortex Heater
- Lasko Space Heater
Can you use an electric heater in a tent?
Yes, electric heaters are safe to use inside tents. This is especially in the winter months (find more tips on winter camping here). If you’re considering buying a heater, make sure you find one that will work on the campsite’s power supply. This means finding a campsite that provides you with an electric hook-up (EHU).
If you’re camping in cooler months, then using electricity in your tent is essential. You might also need it for other things like lights, microwave or fridge on site.
If you’re searching for a camping location with an electric hook-up, always double-check. It helps to be sure this will be available to you.
How to choose the best electric tent heater?
When choosing a heater for your tent, it’s helpful to consider the following features:
Adjustable thermostat settings
How many options are there to change the temperature? Is there a cool setting available? Do you have more than one mode to choose from?
Choosing a heater with more settings will give you added flexibility. You will be able to get the temperature in your right.
Protection settings for electric tent heaters
Make sure your heater has built-in settings with a built-in safety system to shut the heater off if it overheats.
Look to make sure the fan isn’t too noisy or too much of a disturbance. Some heaters offer the feature of low noise when working.
How fast it heats up
You don’t want to wait all day to feel the heat after a long walk in the woods! You want a heater that will warm your fingers and toes in no time.
What are the benefits of an electric tent heater?
The convenience of added warmth
The biggest benefit of a tent heater is the extra warmth and comfort you can have when camping in colder months. Your sleeping bag will provide you with a certain level of warmth. Yet the heater for your tent will produce enough heat to warm a much larger area.
Considered a Safe Option
Compared to different heaters, electric tent heaters are considered a safe option. This is because ceramic heaters don’t have any glowing materials or open flames. This reduces the chance of a fire starting.
The plastic coating found around the heater prevents the body from overheating. This allows it to go near to any material. Electric heaters also offer automatic safety mechanisms. They will shut off if they overheat.
What’s the best way to use an electric tent heater? The safest way?
As mentioned, make sure that you have a power supply available and an EHU at the campsite. It’s recommended to keep it on a lower setting so that the air doesn’t become too dry and stuffy.
Electric heaters are much safer than using a gas heater. As an extra precaution, I keeping your heater off the floor or anywhere where it might get knocked over. Many choose to keep their heater on a small table so that it’s not on the floor.
Electric Tent Heater Reviews
This is a good option if you are looking for a portable heater that will heat your tent up. The Brightown Ceramic Space Heater is small and lightweight.
- Safe ceramic unit
- Extra safety with automatic overheat protection
- Adjustable thermostat. There are three different settings with the adjustable thermostat. You might want to keep it in a lower setting. On a lower setting, it won’t get too stuffy.
- Convenient handle design. The built-in handle and lightweight design make it very easy to pack in your car and take on a camping trip.
- ETL listed. This mark proves that a product is compliant with North American safety standards.
- Fan unit could cause noise
- The heating element shuts off with the safety feature
This heater is robust. It also has a thermostat that will regulate the temperature through a cycle that turns on and off. The OPOLAR Cermanic Space heater produces a stream of warm air that will help to heat up your tent. Being bottom-heavy, you don’t need to worry about it tipping over and causing any safety hazards.
- PTC ceramic plate. This technology offers safer and longer-lasting heating than traditional heaters.
- Robust structure and tip-over protection. If the heater falls over, then it will turn off – keeping you much safer.
- Overheated protection. When it gets too hot, the heater will shut off.
- Adjustable thermostat. Offering three modes and the ability to use the fan alone. This product is good for someone who might also enjoy having a tent fan in the spring or summer months.
- Fans could be noisy
- The item’s weight might not make it as convenient to bring on a trip
- Uses more electricity than other heaters
The SENDOW Portable Electric Space heater allows you to heat your tent up quickly. It also has high levels of safety features. It is also ideal for those who are energy and eco-conscious.
- User-friendly controls. Choose if you want it hot, warm, or only the fan mode – great for winter and summer months.
- 70-degree oscillation.
- Multi-protection. Flame-resistant material. ETL certified. Overheat system that will shut it off to keep you safe.
- Low noise. At 45 DB it will not keep you up at night when you are in the quiet of the forest.
- The metal element gets too hot to touch
- Fan continues to blow once the tent heats. Need to turn the fan off.
This heater is an energy-efficient choice for heating your tent. This heater allows you to heat your room efficiently and with a low level of noise. It offers three heat settings and an adjustable thermostat. You have control over the temperature, giving added comfort. Safety features include over-tip protection and automatic shut-off. This helps give you peace of mind while you heat your tent.
- Adjustable thermostat. Three heat settings.
- Heat all the air in your tent without the intense heat. This heater aims to circulate fast warmth at a gentle rate.
- Many safety features. These include a cool touch casing, safety shut-off if it overheats, and safety shut-off if it’s tipped over.
- A 5-year promise from the support team
- Integrated carrying handle
- May produce a burning smell
- The auto shut-off feature may be erratic
The Lasko Space heater offers patented blower technology for enhanced heat penetration. This option is ideal for anyone looking to heat a big tent. It has 25’’ height and three heat sweep settings that allow you to project heat around your tent.
- Three heat sweep settings to project heat throughout your tent
- Two quiet settings
- Easy-to-clean filter
- Wireless remote control
- Adjustable thermostat with digital display
- Built-in safety features including overheat protection and a cool touch exterior
- Beeping sound when adjusting settings
- Overheating function may shut it off too soon
To wrap it up, my personal recommendation
Whatever tent heater you decide on will depend on your individual requirements. The level of heat, safety, and temperature flexibility you are looking for. If you are camping with children then you may want to find one with added safety features.
But, if I had to choose one, a general-purpose favorite among these, I would say the best electric heater is the OPOLAR Ceramic Space Heater.
The high level of great reviews on this heater makes this heater one that I can recommend with confidence.
Many tents will keep away the rain and wind but they often do not insulate very well. This is why it could start to get pretty cold in the winter months. For these freezing temperatures, a heater is an obvious investment. Get the warmth you need for a comfortable camping trip.