If camping with a large group or family, you have the option of getting several smaller tents or one large tent . A 3 room tent is a nice option for groups of friends or families with children on summer vacation.
Choose your 3 room tent based on features such as space, shape, ease of setup, ventilation and extras. The tent you buy will depend on personal preference, size of group as well as the nature of your trip.
In this article, we are going to review the following 3 room tents:
- Ozark Trail 10-Person XL Family Cabin Tent – 3 Room
- Ozark Trail 16×16-Feet 12-Person Instant Cabin Tent – 3 Room
- CORE 12 Person Instant Cabin Tent – 3 Room
- Tahoe Gear Gateway 10 to 12 Person Deluxe Cabin Family Camping Tent – 3 Room
- Ozark Trail 11 Person 3 Room 14′ x 14′ Instant Cabin Tent – 3 Room
What are the benefits of having a 3 room tent?
Ideal for family and group holidays
One of the biggest benefits of staying in a 3 room tent is that it can accommodate a large family or group of friends. Set up a getaway in the middle of nature. Keep everyone together under the same shelter.
Here is a list of family camping tips that will make your life much easier.
Communal living room areas
Many of these tents feature generous living areas. This is an ideal place to retreat to on cooler evenings for a game of cards or even an indoor meal.
If you are camping as a large family, you may be looking for the convenience of keeping your children nearby. A larger tent is an easier option then having the kids stay in a smaller tent. You will feel more at ease and they will sleep better knowing you’re nearby.
–> If you are looking for less space, find reviews of 2 room tents here.
What features to look for when buying a 3 room tent?
Fabric Quality & Materials
Here are a few things to consider when looking at tent fabric and materials:
The waterproof rating. This is in millimeters using the hydrostatic head rating. We recommend a rating that is at least 1500mm. This rating describes the quality of strength of the tent coating. The higher the water column, the more water resistant coating. The difference between a lower and higher rating is obvious as soon as it starts raining!
How durable the material is. Tents from canvas are very long-lasting but can be heavy. Nylon/ Polyester is durable and waterproof but can deteriorate in the sun.
Seams and groundsheet attachments. Are the seams sealed? Is the groundsheet sewn into the tent to keep water out and keep you dry?
Pole material. Look for poles that will offer flexibility and stability. This material might be aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber, steel composite material or air beams. Look for wind resistance and durability to keep your 3 room tent standing tall. This will depend on purpose as well as budget.
Steel poles are heavy while offering a strong structure for heavy canvas tents. Fibreglass is the cheapest material of tent pole. It is usually found in more affordable tents. Carbon fiber are very strong and lighter than aluminum but also come with a high price tag.
Ventilation in a 3 room tent
Tent windows and vents are essential for ventilation. Aiflor is important to avoid the build up of condensation or overheating. This is especially important with a larger group of people. Look for mesh windows and vent openings to help keep airflow going through. With a mesh roof you can look up at the stars at night and stay nice and cool on summer nights.
Ease of setup
Larger tents will generally take more time than smaller ones to setup. There are more parts to piece together. Try to find a tent that makes this process as simple as possible. Some 3 room tents have colour-coded poles with detailed instructions. Others offer pre-attached poles so there is no assembly required.
Extra features & accessories
Some brands will offer extra features to keep your group more comfortable.
Features to lookout for include:
- Hook for your lamp
- Entrances that double as sunshade
- Removable partition curtains to segregate areas
- Pocket organisers
- Flysheet for added waterproofing
- Repair kit
- Carrying bag
- Tent pegs
- Guy ropes
The Ozark Cabin Tent can sleep up to 10 people and fit three queen-sized air mattresses with extra room to spare. There are two removable room dividers that can help create up to three separate rooms. The tent has one center door as well as two side doors for separate entrances and added privacy.
- Fits 3 queen air mattresses with room to spare
- Taped fly seams to prevent leakage
- Six windows and two side doors for ventilation
- One center door and two side doors for separate entrances and privacy
- Not for extreme weather conditions
- Lighter weight material is less durable
The Ozark Trail Cabin Tent is a 12-person instant cabin tent that you can setup in under two minutes. There is no assembly required since the poles are pre-attached. There are large windows on all sides for ventilation as well as room to stand up with a 6’10’’ center height. This tent can fit three queen airbeds. There are also two internal room dividers, allowing you to create separate spaces.
- Fits 3 queen airbeds
- 3-room tent
- Includes rainfly
- 7 fully closable windows
- Fully taped factory sealed seams to provide dry space
- Thinner material is prone to tearing
- Not for extremely windy or rainy weather
The CORE Instant cabin tent can sleep up to 12 adults. The tent has both front and back doors, making it easy to share the space with many campers. The T-door and back D-door with awnings. You can enjoy stargazing at night through the oversized mesh ceiling panels. It it starts to rain, the rainfly will help keep you dry.
- H2O block technology to keep water out
- Pre-assembled pools for quick setup
- Room divider to create 3 rooms
- Large vents to draw in cool air from the ground
- Hot air to escape through mesh ceiling
- Lightweight material makes it prone to tears
- Not for extreme weather conditions
The Tahoe Gear Gateway Ten is for groups or families. It has a 7 foot center and wall height, allowing you to move throughout the tent. It also has a 1200mm polyester tent body, fly and floor to help keep water out.
- Weather resistant fabric to keep you dry
- Easy carry and set-up
- Generous tent center and walls
- 3-rooms that can fit 3 to 4 queen air mattresses
- Coordinating 1200mm polyester fly with taped fly seams
- Fly includes guy rope on each side for securing tent in windy weather
- Not for severe weather conditions
- Lighter material prone to tears
The Ozark Trail Tent is spacious with room for 11 people. The tent can fit two queen airbeds. It has an open cabin with an extra attached back room (3 room tent). There is also a large front awning for protected entry and a 76’’ ceiling height for headroom.
There is a divider and back room door to create three separate living spaces. You can also keep them open for panoramic views. Six windows and a mesh ceiling provide comfortable ventilation.
- Quick setup in under two minutes
- No assembly required. Pre-attached poles.
- Sleeps 11. Fits 2 queen air mattresses.
- Private back room and room divider for 3 living spaces.
- Protected tent entry with front awning.
- 6 large windows and mesh panel ceilings
- Includes rainfly with factory sealed seams
- Electrical cord access and gear organizer included
- Carry bag and tent stakes included
- Lighter material is prone to tears
- The extra room is not covered by the rainfly
To Wrap it up, My Personal Recommendation
The 3 room tent you choose will depend on the size of your group, nature of your trip and space you need. As seen above, there are plenty of options to sleep large groups and families under one shelter. It depends on the living space and level of comfort you are looking for.
If I had to pick my favourite from the above, I would recommend the CORE 12 Person Instant Cabin Tent. The generous dimensions should keep for plenty of space in your living area so you don’t feel crammed. Sou should be able to move around with ease and the headroom will help prevent a stiff neck. The two entryway and three room options allows freedom. You can have many separate living and sleeping spaces.
The mesh windows will allow for cooling airflow and ventilation. Not to mention, the instant setup in under two minutes and poles pre-attached to the tent.
After buying your huge camping tent, you’re ready for a great camping trip. Enjoy hiking trips into the forest and retreat back to your giant shelter. Sit next to a campfire, eat some s’mores and sing to a guitar.